Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir & John Kahn
Gift Center Pavilion
San Francisco, CA
March 22, 1989
This is a tagged version of shnid: 93889
Field Equipment: 2x Nakamichi 700 mics (modified, caps and attenuators worn in hat) > Reutelhuber pre-amp > dbx 221e > Sony TCd5M master cassette (Maxell MX90);
Transfer (PS): Nakamichi CR1a playback > dbx 224xds decode > Macintosh 1.2 GHZ Power PC G4 OSX 10.5.4, with M-Audio Audiophile 2496 MIDI Digital Recording Interface. Recorded with Bias Peak Lite. File re-saved from raw audio as Wave with Bias Peak Lite version 5.2;
Track & FLAC (jj): CD Wave 1.94.8 > Sony Sound Forge Studio 7.0 (t01 fade-in and t07 fade-out) > Trader’s Little Helper (FLAC8 encoding).
Single Disc (7 tracks, 35:18)
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t01. Crowd, Tuning and Stage Talk [1:40]
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t02. Deep Elem Blues [5:11] [0:19]
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t03. Wang Dang Doodle [5:09] ->
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t04. Oh the Wind and Rain [4:54] ->
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t05. When I Paint My Masterpiece [4:42]
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t06. Bird Song [8:18] [0:04]
jg1989-03-22-jgbwjk-PS-t07. Easy to Slip [4:50] [0:11]
– Poster Artists Benefit. Other acts included Country Joe McDonald, Dinosaurs and Nick Gravenites and Animal Mind. Jerry also sits in with Country Joe McDonald on Starship Ride and Lady With The Lamp. PS’s tape of that set will also be circulated.
– What a delight this little set is. Jerry sounds like he’s having a blast, including on the Bob tunes where he is both playing well and singing some nice harmonies (check out Wang Dang Doodle!). Indeed, in this time frame Jerry seemed to really enjoy these little one-off gigs … check out 1/23/88 (Blues for Salvador), 5/26/89 (with Los Lobos), 8/2/89 (Latino Sessions), and 4/29/90 (Animal Mind) for nice one-offs and guest shots during this period of relative health and happiness. I would argue that this is essential stuff for the Jerry fan.
– The recording is also very nice, the best of the several that I have heard from this night.
– Sounds like some joker blows a kazoo right near the end of Bird Song … might want to be careful for your speakers at that point.
– Big thanks to PS for taping, transferring and sharing this beauty.