JUST A MAN (Alternate Version)
Download FLAC: Google Drive
I previously posted Vol 1 here.
I previously posted Vol 2 here.
I don’t know the story behind these compilations, but they are brilliant. Absolute must-haves for Van fans. I just got this “alternate version” which seems to be partially made up of Vol. 1 and then there are some new songs on their too. Thus you get a new post for this version. Enjoy.
1. Into the Mystic – 9/5/71, Pacific High Studios, Sausalito, CA
2. Glad Tidings – 10/9/70, Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA
3. Tennessee Waltz – 8/8/71 Lion’s Share, San Anselmo, CA
4. Wild Night – 5/26/73, Troubador Club, Los Angeles, CA
5. Warm Love – 21/10/79, Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA
6. Got to Go Back – 7/25/86, Greek Theatre, Berkeley, CA
7. The Street Only Knew Your Name – 1/26/84, Nouveau Palace de Festival, Cannes, France
8. In the Garden – 9/29/86, Carre Theatre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
9. Dweller on the Threshold – 1/26/84, Nouveau Palace de Festival, Cannes, France
10. Cleaning Windows – 6/21/87, Glastonbury Festival, Worthy Farm, Pilton, England
11. Celtic Ray – 4/4/82, Grugahalle, Essen, Germany
12. I Will Be There – 7/15/89, Imst Festival, Imst, Tirol, Austria
13. Northern Muse – 4/20/90, Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA
14. Caravan – 7/11/90, Montreux Jazz Festival, Montreux, Switzerland
15. Summertime in England – 6/21/87, Glastonbury Festival, Worthy Farm, Pilton, England
1. In the Afternoon – 6/13/99, Roseland Ballroom, NYC
2. I’ll Go Crazy – 4/21/92, Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA
3. Some Peace Of Mind – 4/1/91, Vrendenburg, Utrecht, The Netherlands
4. Melancholia – 12/17/95, The Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
5. Tupelo Honey > Why Must I Always Explain? – 4/28/96, Supper Club, NYC
6. See Me Through > Soldier of Fortune > Thank You – 4/14/95, The Corn Exchange, Cambridge, England
7. Whenever God Shines His Light – 7/13/96, JVC Statenhal, The Hague, The Netherlands
8. Vanlose Stairway > Trans Euro Train – 10/18/96 Leverkusener Jazztage Forum, Leverkusen, Germany
9. Philosophers Stone – 11/13/03, Musikhalle, Hamburg, Germany
10. Rough God Goes Riding – 12/19/98, Rockpalast, Dusseldorf, Germany
11. Itís All In The Game > You Know What Theyíre Writing About > Burning Ground – 3/18/05, Apollo Theater, NYC
12. Into the Mystic – 3/19/05, The Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA
ALS, November 2005 and May 2014, Various Sources > EAC > Sound Forge 6.0 and Sound Forge 8.0 > CD Wave > FLAC
Comments: This collection is a compilation of some of my favorite Van performances. It’s 75% sbd/fm/pre-fm,
25% audience, and 100% great performances.
6 thoughts on “Van Morrison – Just a Man, Alternate Version”
It’s strange, but try as I might, I just do not ‘get’ Van Morrison. Bought Astral Weeks decades ago when it was raved about but was underwhelmed. I can already howls of disbelief, but then again I had no time for Rory Gallagher either! Better stop now.
Have you tried any of his other work besides Astral Weeks? I mean I’m a huge fan of Van but I don’t love that album and I can definitely see how it would be off-putting. If you want a better feel for his work I’d recommend these Just a Man boots as they have fantastic versions of some of his best songs.
But really, you won’t get any complaints from me if you don’t like this stuff. It is fascinating how different artists hit different people in different ways. And there is enough music out there for everone to find something they love
Thanks Mat. It is refreshing that the cafe is a site where someone can calmly express an opinion and know there won’t be a torrent of hysterical abuse. I’ll give him another go. But am dreading thinking he is great and having to catch up on half a century of music. (I do have the 45 of ‘Bulbs’, in my defence)
I hope you like him. Though I do understand the pain of finding something else to love and the time and money that costs you 🙂
But if you don’t then that’s ok too. I hate how some folks in various fandoms rag on people for not liking something. Love what you love and if it doesn’t line up with what I love then who cares? We all gotta take what joy we can from this life while we’re here.
I agree about Astral Weeks. Never really understood why so many people like it. Maybe I should listen to it again. I would encourage people to try some other Van Morrison since there is a lot other than Astral Weeks. By the way, do you have any Richard Thompson?
Astral Weeks has grown on me over the years. I like some of the songs, but that whole transcendental moaning thing he does is more than I can take.
I think I have one Richard Thompson show, somewhere. I know he’s a talented guy but I’ve never gotten into him. I should really sit down with him sometime.